The exhibition in the Museum of Bread and Art has two parts. Art is on one side, and topics such as bread, everyday life, nutrition, and consumption are on the other side. There are cultural dimensions to both parts: it is about understanding and interpreting the world around us, especially the exploration of the spaces in between stereotypes and popular conceptions. The two halves complement each other. This is what makes this museum so special.


The Museum of Bread and Art is supported by the non-profit Father and Son Eiselen Foundation.
The museum was founded in 1955 by two entrepreneurs from Ulm- Willy Eiselen (1896-1981) and his son Dr. Hermann Eiselen (1926-2009) as the world's first bread museum.
The collection comprises objects of cultural, social, technological, and historical significance from several centuries. Particular attention was and is paid to art. Art makes it possible to view the broad subject of bread and food from surprising perspectives.
From the very beginning, the founders also understood the museum to be a place where people could think about and discuss a better and fairer global food system.


The Renaissance-era building which houses the museum is registered as a special cultural landmark of the city of Ulm. It's notable for its steep gabled roof and beautiful entrance (by stonemason Claus Bauhofer) and was built in 1592/93. Inside you can admire the beautiful, exposed post-and-beam construction. The structure was originally built as an imperial city storehouse for grain and salt, which is why today it is still called the "Salzstadel" which translates to something like "Salt Shed" in German. After extensive renovation, the museum moved into the former storehouse in 1991 and now stores art and culture.
Once a year, the upper floors are also opened to visitors and offer a unique view of the Ulm Minster.

Mission Statement

Bread and strategies to mitigate hunger have been part of our culture and society for thousands of years.
Those who take a closer look at bread see our society with sharpened eyes.

This is our guiding principle and the reason why this museum deals with the subject of bread and at the same time with many other topics. And that's because "bread" also represents food more generally; in other words, the essentials of life. But many other things that make up our life are connected with it as well. Because whether culture, politics, science, or economy, everything is determined and impacted by our basic need for food.
We have made it our mission to present these various topics in an exciting and understandable way. A visit to the museum should be an experience for the whole family. Everyone should have the opportunity to take something from it which is applicable for themselves and their daily lives: beautiful pictures, interesting information, but also new questions.

Eiselen Foundation

The Eiselen Foundation is a non-profit organization which was established to promote research and finance the museum. It was started by the Ulm entrepreneurs Willy and Hermann Eiselen in 1978. The task of promoting research projects to improve global food security was delegated to the Fiat Panis Foundation in 2010.

The committees of the foundation include:

The Board of Trustees
Dr. Klaus-A. Gerstenmaier (Chairman), Stuttgart
Dr. Nicole Fritz, Tübingen
Dr. Christoph E. Palmer (Vice Chairman), Stuttgart
Director (ret.) Dieter Maier, Stuttgart
Prof. Dr. Franz-Josef Radermacher, Ulm
Prof. Dr. Hans Wolff (honorary member), Ichenhausen
Prof. Dr. Heinz Griesinger (honorary member), Markgröningen

The Board of Directors
Dr. Isabel Greschat, Ulm
Dr. Andrea Fadani, Ulm

The administration of the foundation is based in Ulm.

Vater und Sohn Eiselen-Stiftung Ulm
Syrlinstraße 7
89073 Ulm
Phone +49 (0)731 93515 0
Fax +49 (0)731 93515 29


  • Director

    Dr. Isabel Greschat

    0049 (0)731 14009 13

  • Secretary

    Renate Dorer

    0049 (0)731 14009 0

  • Learning

    Gudrun Graichen M. A.

    0049 (0)731 14009 14

  • Event management Press relations

    Dr. Marianne Honold

    0049 (0)731 14009 15

  • Collection

    Lilien Sztudinka M. Litt.

    0049 (0)731 14009 14

  • Volunteer scientific

    Dr. Ella Platschka

    0049 (0)731 14009 15

  • Museum shop

    Margarete Becker

    0049 (0)731 6027 999

  • Technique

    Martin Mang

    0049 (0)179 4183202